Welcome to Outdoor Savages! We are a small group of friends that enjoys nothing more than to spend our free time in the outdoors. Here are the first hand accounts of our adventures. Enjoy!

Thursday, September 1, 2011

USK/SK Part 1

Hurricane Bob
      The idea of a survival kit readily available for "when it happens"  is a great idea.  I will be honest that i was a little shocked at myself for not having a well thought out procedure or any emergency rations.  I figured that a flashlight, a bottle of water, rain coat, and a pistol with get me through OK.  I now realize my thoughts could not be any further from the truth.  A survival kit and plan needs to be well thought out, and i figure thinking it through would be my first step in creating a plan and bag.

    First, I had to think of my environment.  I live in a medium sized city close to New York City.  If i left my condo it would take me 15 minutes to walk to the train station.  From there, i can hop on the express train and be in Grand Central Terminal  40 minutes later.  Then 10 minutes walking and you arrive in Times Square, so yeah i am in the Urban Environment.  Items  useful to you lucky people living in rural areas would be useless to me.  The idea of  local governments breaking down and a free-for-all ensuing seems far fetched; however, i would like to point out the weeks following Katrina in New Orleans.  What about the Rodney King Riots in LA?  Yup, the local government lost control for a period of time.  If a disaster takes  out the power for several weeks you will be on your own.  Cities depend on services bringing in supplies and bringing waste out.  Population centers are really a fragile thing.  When the fabric that holds these large communities unravels Riots are sure to ensue. 
    Second, I thought "where will i be when it goes down?"  Will i be home reading your blog?  will I be at work?  Will my wife be at work?  If my wife and I are in separate locations a different course of action will be required.  Should we have a central kit in the house and little kits in our cars?  Sounds like a good idea and i will implement this.
    Third, Time of year.  Here in New England we have four seasons.  New England weather can throw everything at you: 100 degree days, 0 degree days, snow, sleet, rain, and my least favorite wind.  Planning for a survival kit in New England can turn into a logistical nightmare, because you can't pick up and run with a years worth of clothing.
Tornado Damage in Texas
    With all this taken into consideration I have decided in the event of a disaster my wife, dog, and I should meet up at my mother's house.  Sorry guys, no grand plan to hike off the great white north.  I figure those people will be protecting their resources and car travel will not be possible. I figure if the whole family can work together we stand a chance.  From there It would be wise to hunker down until things cool down, and only move if the area becomes unsafe. 
   

1 comment:

  1. Sounds as if you have a good plan. Hope it's not needed.

    ReplyDelete