Welcome to Outdoor Savages! We are a small group of friends that enjoys nothing more than to spend our free time in the outdoors. Here are the first hand accounts of our adventures. Enjoy!

Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Stone Flys and a Couple of Trout

     By now it is no secret Connecticut TMA's have been stocked.  The stockings came a few weeks early this year thanks to the mild winter.  With the stocking comes lots of fisherman.  A few weeks ago Jan and I went fishing and we had the TMA to our selves.  Today, we pulled into the lot and found 6 other trucks there.  Judging by the TU and other trout stickers i figured they were not there walking the dog.  Last night i was reading a blog post about the importance of being rigged up ready to go upon arrival.  Check it out illinois wisconsin fishing.  Before Jan and I left his house I made sure we got dressed in his drive way.  Being ready to go proved to be a wise choice.  3 guys were busy rigging up when we pulled in.  We just got out of the Jeep and started fishing.  Jan and I refer to this as Kamikaze fishing. 
   On to the fishing.  It seemed a little slow.   For three hours of fishing we only racked up a total of 3 fish.  I got one and Jan stuck the other two.  For a river that has been stocked in the last week i felt the fishing was sub par.  I will admit it was very bright and cold today.  During the course of the outing i realized Stone Fly coming off.  A few trout came up to eat a few but not hot and heavy.  We decided to leave at 130pm.  I have a feeling the fishing will be much better during the heat of the afternoon. 

8 comments:

  1. thanks for reading and for the plug Savage

    ReplyDelete
  2. I guess the stockies got stream smart.
    Good to be out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They either got smarter or i got dumber. Who cares, it was good to be out!

      Delete
  3. What was the water temps? I'm betting they are still cold and cold water fishing is slow even with the stockies. Also I was watching a DVD the other day and they were talking about fishing the parts of the river that best resemble the hatchery features when fish are newly stocked. Slower moving water about the same depth as hatcheries. These fish are used to those water styles and will hold there until they get adjusted. Made sense, I have hammered stockies in such a lie in the past but gave it no thought until that little piece on the DVD.

    I am almost never ready to fish when I arrive but after reading this I will change my ways for sure.

    thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes the fish are still kind of sluggish. Even with the mild winter it is still winter. Today I fished a streamer and did better but the strikes were light.

      Delete
  4. All is fair in war, love and fishing!

    Good to see you got out and had some success.

    I went to a local pond last weekend to go trout fishing and it was literally freezing out. After no action I left after 60 minutes. We have been spoiled this year with the warm temperatures (save last weekend) and the lack of snow (save today) and I have certainly taken advantage.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We did not get snow down here but a lot of CT did. Spring is on the way and we will all be watching baseball and wearing shorts and t-shirts soon.

      Delete
  5. You have to love the kamikaze fishing!lol! As soon as it warms up you will be catching in no time. Good luck this season!

    ReplyDelete