Welcome to Outdoor Savages! We are a small group of friends that enjoys nothing more than to spend our free time in the outdoors. Here are the first hand accounts of our adventures. Enjoy!

Saturday, July 23, 2011

Heat Wave 2011

  
    The weather out side is frightful.  Yesterday it hit 102 and today it is in the upper 90's.  Needless to say i have been sitting in my nice AC a lot tying a bunch of EP Flies.  New York City which is only  a 40 minute train ride away has issued several air quality alerts and people are crowding  into grand central to escape.   I for one am very happy to have the two hottest days of the heat wave off.  Thank god i am not at work doing anything outside at the sewage treatment plant. 
   Despite the heat we have been catching fish.  Yesterday Jan and i took a beach fishing excursion.  Sometimes i just like to keep it simple and walk the beach.  On the way down to the beach 1010 Wins AM radio made it sound if you go outside you will die from the heat.  The bank's clock flashed 4:47am/76 degrees.  The short walk down to the beach was like the Baton Death march.  Thank God for breathable waders!  We were already sweating bullets by the time we hit the beach.  The bugs were out too, Nice.  The fish were not out.  We endured hot house conditions for 2 hours.  Jan caught 1 rat blue.  I had to get going anyway since i had a nail in my tire.  I wanted to plug it while it was not 100 degrees.  The tire plugging when very well.
    Today I launched the boat in darkness by myself and the air felt like forgiveness.  It was 72 degrees, but the atmosphere was not as thick and I even had a little breeze going.  I have noticed in my last few trip bait is abundant.  I have seen mummies, white bait, tiny bunker, and snapper blues.  I have tied flies that look like there baits.  During this morning's trip i had a Snapper Fly ready.  Even though the heat is terrible fishing is good.  I found a blitz of big blue early.  The blues were feeding heavily on their babies early.  At one point i saw thousands of snappers jumping out of the water.  Unfortunately, i could not hook anything.  Sometimes i find the big 10lb blues to be very selective.  I motored out of that spot with a feeling of defeat; however, that would change at location #2.  Blitz!  These were bass and bass eat anything.  I grabbed 3 fish before the action ended for the day.  It was only 830 and I could feel the heat already, so it was back to the barn for me.  I did feel good about catching some fish on my EP snapper fly.  Now to relax inside and watch some baseball. 

1 comment:

  1. This heat has kicked my arse.
    To the Farmy for some cooling down.

    ReplyDelete