Welcome to Outdoor Savages! We are a small group of friends that enjoys nothing more than to spend our free time in the outdoors. Here are the first hand accounts of our adventures. Enjoy!

Saturday, November 24, 2012

More ducks and some fog

Rather than going shopping on Black Friday I decided to try my hand at some ducks again. It was a good choice! I took along 18 bluebill decoys and 4 bufflehead and set up in the morning. Not even 10 minutes went by when 4 buffleheads streaked in. I dropped the last drake in the bunch and I was off to a great morning. Total for the morning was 3 buffleheads. I could have tagged a limit but I decided not to because I was waiting on an old squaw and I missed when my chance came. I also pulled a merg from the sky. I will be back next week after the old squaw because I noticed an area where I can pass shoot them

4 comments:

  1. Hey Savage.....how do you prepare the duck?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Buffleheads are a little tricky. They do have the strong livery taste to them; however, I have found a simple process that helps it out. First i breast them out. They are a small duck like a teal, but with much thicker plumage. There is not much else on these guys and the thighs are like rubber bands to chew. I soak the breast meat in milk for about 10 hours. During the 12 hours i change the milk and wash the meat off once. After the rounds of milk I just cook it on the grill or in the pan. I have also found some rosemary and salt and pepper go a long way. These same process works for the Old Squaw and Scoters.

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. I boiled the merg and fed it to my neighborhood wild cats. The buffleheads I soaked in milk and grilled then made a sand which.

      Delete