Welcome to Outdoor Savages! We are a small group of friends that enjoys nothing more than to spend our free time in the outdoors. Here are the first hand accounts of our adventures. Enjoy!

Friday, May 30, 2014

In The Water

   
A load of clams in the 20qt. Yeti
    I got the boat in the water for the first time this morning.  I have been busy with a lot of other things and just did not have the time.  I launched early and took it easy for a while to let the engine heat up.  I fished a couple of spots close to the ramp with no results, however, my luck was about to change.  I noticed we had a minus low tide and I had the foresight to bring along the clam rake.  I called the hot line and headed to the beds.     My normal KB White rake is being worked on, so I had to take the good old eagle claw rake.  The rake was my dad's and is probably 25 years old.  Today, the minus low tide  granted me access  to areas of the beds which do not get worked over all the time, and the clams came fast and easy.   Just a reminder, we are now getting into the summer season.  The advisory is to bring a cooler with ice to transport your shellfish.  Vibrio bacteria does not do well in cold so the ice will knock it out.  I ended up having two bass follow my fly to the boat but failed at getting them to hit.  On top of the no fish trip, summer still seems to be allusive since it had a hoodie on this morning.
Flat Ass Calm

Hard to believe I got squat here

No comments:

Post a Comment