Welcome to Outdoor Savages! We are a small group of friends that enjoys nothing more than to spend our free time in the outdoors. Here are the first hand accounts of our adventures. Enjoy!

Thursday, May 8, 2014

Cornerstones and Bombers


    Last week I was very fortunate to win some streamer flies tied by Alan over at Small Stream Reflections.  The fly series was named "Cornerstone Flies" tied to commemorate Small Stream Reflection's half a million page views.  Monday, I received the flies in the mail and decided to fish them in a wild trout river.  I have never targeted wild trout before, so it was a cornerstone for me as well.  I never gave much thought to wild trout fishing before.  Then I started reading Alan's blog and really getting into his adventures into the world these fish live.  


   The other day I got in the Jeep and took a ride to a wild trout stream.  The river I chose was stocked with only fingerling browns, but also contained wild fish and adult trout.  I got a little nervous when I pulled into the fishing area.  The stream was small and tight.  At some points it was  a yard stick wide, but it did look like trout lived there.  I started fishing with a yellow and red cornerstone fly.  It only took 3 drifts to hook up with one of the little stocked browns.  As the day went on i was amazed at just how many of these browns were in the river, and how hungry they were.  I was wondering if they were starving.  I turned over a rock and it was covered in little nymphs.  It was like turning on a light in the projects and watching all the roaches running.  The nymphs were small so I looked into my fly box and tied on a little black bead head, about a size 20.  Around 3pm a hatch started.  I noticed 4 different bugs: size 20 little black caddis, size 16 tan caddis, size 16 BWO, and size 10 big mayfly.  I was not sure what the last one was, but it had a long slender light olive body.  I noticed the trout rising so i reached into my bag of flies and pulled out an old Bomber.  The Bomber was also tied by Alan and I got it through a fly swap through a fishing website.  As I worked my way along the river I caught fish on the bomber.  Most were the little stocked browns but I did catch a brook trout on it.  As the afternoon went on I switched flies a few times and caught a few more fish.  The big fish of the day was a 8 inch brook trout which took one of the cornerstone flies.  To end the day I drove to a campground and got a site.  I spent the evening By a fire cooking steak.
    My adventure into the world of small stream trout fishing was a lot of fun.  I am very grateful for the opportunity to fish these trout with flies tied my someone who has a passion for it.   I am not sure if any of these fish were wild, but I did have a great time.  When I woke up in the morning I peaked out of my Bivy sack and saw how muddy my hiking boots were, a sure sign of a good time.  All fish were released.

1 comment:

  1. Looks like you have placed your "cornerstone" as a small stream fisher.
    Nice post.

    ReplyDelete