Welcome to Outdoor Savages! We are a small group of friends that enjoys nothing more than to spend our free time in the outdoors. Here are the first hand accounts of our adventures. Enjoy!

Wednesday, January 13, 2010


Crazy bluegill action!!!!!!

What a difference a day makes. After i had my first outing dreams crushed yesterday i was able to get my act together this morning. I decided on a change of venue. Moving from the vast openness of Candlwood lake and its deep flats, to the mouth of a damned tidal pond.
The ice was about 7 inches thick, which is good for being right on Long Island Sound. Well the fishing was Non-stop with the bluegills, and nothing else. Finally after an hour long bail job i got into some dink yellow perch, and my supply of spikes was going at an alarming rate. I then pulled a move to see if i could locate some whites or crappie, not a chance! The bottom was paved with gills and dink yellows. It was like "shooting rats in a pipe" ! I was wondering if that was all that inhabited this lake.
After about two hours i was in the middle of a crazy sub-ice bluegill blitz. Then, Finally, I got a big hit on the Vex! and then it hit my jig! I could tell it was no bluegill. After a minute, a giant, yellow perch came to the hole. About 20 minutes later the north wind started to come on and threw on my coat. While i was doing this i noticed a fish on the vex come after my jig, and it hit! Finally, a crappie!!! I did not stay much longer because i was wanting to go to bed. After a long night at work it was time to get going. Thankfully i was able to end the day with a string of 5 crappie.

No comments:

Post a Comment