Welcome to Outdoor Savages! We are a small group of friends that enjoys nothing more than to spend our free time in the outdoors. Here are the first hand accounts of our adventures. Enjoy!

Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Trout



I don't really get out to trout fish that often.
Its not because i don't like trout fishing, but because i have saltwater available to me.  Being that the bass fishing has been on the slow side i decided to take a trip on the rivers in search of trout.  Its well after opening day and many of the rivers have been stocked twice already.  I personally have not been trout fishing in about 5 years so i knew there was going to have to be a re-adjustment period on the river.  I started the trip by digging out my 4wt, reel, and fly box.  I was able to locate everything and i was on my way.  The weather today was in the 50's and overcast.  There was a light rain that turned to mist at times.  All the vegatation along the bank was fully grown and the river seemed to be low.  I sat on the tailgate of my Dakota admiring the signs of spring: birds chirping, smelling the flowers, and feeling the coolness of the day.  I was able to suit up in no time.  Before i knew it i was trying to place a cast into a nice cut of fast water with a bead head.  The small stream venue is very different than the open wind swept beaches that i am used to but i was able to get my casts in the water.  I even hooked a tree, WTF!  Trees are something i am not used to, but i was able to deal with it.   I fished a bunch of cuts with no luck, and i was starting to feel as if i had no idea what i was doing, well i really don't.  I made the choice to drive to a river only a few miles away and try my luck there.  It was here that i saw a few trout rising on insects so i opted to tie on a fly that i got in a fly swap i ran through www.ctfisherman.com.  Well i got the fly right into him and bingo the trout ate it, however, the trout spit the hook and i was back to square 1 again.  I then tied on an emerger pattern from the same fly swap and bingo i beached a rainbow.
  This was the first trout i have taken out of a river in a long time.  I then started fishing a deeper pool with bead heads and took another rainbow. I also dropped a few fish.  I must say it was nice to get out and enjoy some trout action and take it easy.  I think i will hit it again tomorrow and then get into some bass on Sunday or early next week. 
          On the shooting side of things i finally mounted my Leupold 2-7-28 rimfire scope on my savage .17hmr and i can't wait to sight it in and do some chucking. 

1 comment:

  1. way to get out and fish those flies from the fly swap. If I lived closer to the shore I probably wouldn't trout fish as much either but this time of year there is nothing like being on a trout stream. Enjoy it.

    ReplyDelete