Welcome to Outdoor Savages! We are a small group of friends that enjoys nothing more than to spend our free time in the outdoors. Here are the first hand accounts of our adventures. Enjoy!

Monday, June 14, 2010

Holy Shrimp!

I purchased a St. Croix Avid 9wt on E-Bay, it was a steal and i could not resist.
  I took the rod out after work loaded  with a, Rio Striped Bass 9 I, to shot it a couple of times.  It was late in the morning, so my sights were not set that high.  I figured that my best chance at a fish would come at the edge of a sand flat.  I waded out with looming rain clouds behind me.  Dreams of breaking in the new rod were on my mind rather than the thunder heads.  Well Western sound fishing did not disappoint.  I made a bunch of casts with no fish to show for my efforts and decided to head home to bed instead of turning to stone on a lonely sand flat.  As i moved my feet I looked down and saw all kinds of life on the bottom; hermit crabs, snails, a green crab, and the mother load of sand shrimp.  If word gets out about our shrimp The recently defunct LA shrimping fleet will relocate to CT.  I was able to capture one in my stripping basket for a pic!  they were tan or grey, some had white spots, and they were .5 to 1.5 inches long.  I was bummed not to have any shrimp flies, but you can rest assure i am making some.

1 comment:

  1. Now that is cool. Thanks for sharing. I've also been thinking about a fly setup for the salt so maybe you can do a post on getting started in this area.

    ReplyDelete