Welcome to Outdoor Savages! We are a small group of friends that enjoys nothing more than to spend our free time in the outdoors. Here are the first hand accounts of our adventures. Enjoy!

Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Trouts

Warm temps and overcasts skies pulled me to the local TMA this morning.  I wish this was a month later because i would have hit the beach for Bass, but fishing is fishing.  I tied up some Black Flash Back Hair's Ears and i wanted to deploy them.  I was stream side by 1030 and with in a few slick drifts I watched the indicator go down and a nice Brown came to the bank.  The lucky trout has the distinction of being one of the first trout i have slayed on my own fly.  After i moved to another pool and was able to yank another trout out of the river on the same fly, good thing i tied more than one.  Unfortunately, at this point the weather took a dump, and i deiced to head back to the truck.  I did change flies to a nice White Calf Tail Streamer, and as i worked my way back i hit one more pool.  On the second cast, in the pouring rain I hooked a trout, however, he twisted free like a Mackerel.  As i prepared to roll another cast i watched the first lightning bolt of the year followed by a clap of thunder and a low flying airliner, in that order, WTF......   I have some nice Grundens rain gear, but they have yet to manufacture protection from lightning and air crashes, so i made my way back to the truck.  I am very happy that i was able to get some trout in the little time i had before work.  

Check it out.  In the pic of the trout there is a spoon in the sand below his jaw.  I got a trout, and a Free lure!!!  SCORE!!!!

3 comments:

  1. way to go on your first fish on a fly you tied. I sure would have like to see the smile on your face for this event.

    I have a whole 3 hours on the TMA over the last few weeks and missed two fish and landed NONE so be happy.

    Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh he's happy allright. I can see the smile.

    Well done

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think the reason i fly fish is because i really enjoy creating my flies. My freshwater flies need some work. I plan to get a magnifier for the dry fly stuff.

    ReplyDelete