Welcome to Outdoor Savages! We are a small group of friends that enjoys nothing more than to spend our free time in the outdoors. Here are the first hand accounts of our adventures. Enjoy!

Thursday, May 10, 2012

Bugs on the Menu

 
 Once again weather has kept my boat in the driveway  and off the Sound.  The weather this year has been rather windy.  Now it seems to rain almost every day.
 I was sitting at work all week looking at beautiful weather out the window.  When my days off came the weather went south.  Hopefully I will get out of working during the day and go back to 3-11, so i can have my freedom to fish in the mornings.
    I was not going to let a little weather ruin my day off, so i hit the river one more time to do some trout fishing.     The fish have settled in since their stocking, and they are not as dumb as a week ago, or i am getting dumber.  I decided to do some investigation on the aquatic insects they were feeding on.  By lifting a few rocks i was able to get a look at several of the bugs the trout were eating.  I figured throwing a #16 black hare's ear nymph would accurately represent most of the creatures in the river.  Several stocked Rainbows took my offering. "I love it when a plan comes together".
     Also, on a side note, I have been using a new fly line the last few trips.  Cortland 444 Classic Sylk.  The line is a WF4F and runs off my 4 wt.  I picked the line up on ebay for 20 bucks!  How could I go wrong?  My 4 wt is a fine slow action rod that really feels like glass but with out the weight.  These lines were made for slow action rods like glass and cane, so it was a hit right away.  I will do a separate review on the line and my thoughts tomorrow or tonight, but i will leave you with this.  "Cortland 444 Sylk is the best roll casting fly line i have ever fished".

1 comment: